- Sensation Level : Chill
- Spoken languages : French, English, Polish
- Fitness level : from Everybody welcome to Occasionally sporty
- Duration : 2 hrs
- Cancellation policy : flexible
- Meeting point : School : Contrada Birgi Vecchio, 380, 91025 Marsala TP, Italia
- Openning Seasons : May 1st to October 31st
Easily the biggest expanse of truly kite-able flat water in Europe – Lo Stagnone is an eight square mile lagoon in the north of Sicily that can be ridden in either of the two northerly and southerly prevailing wind directions. No tides, no dangers. A number of pro freestyle riders have made films there and if you tuck in behind the island in the middle of the lagoon or close to the ‘salina’ salt plain walls then you can slice your way through perhaps the glassiest water you’ll ever ride!
Lo Stagnone isn’t tidal, although the height of the water does fluctuate slightly depending on wind direction. One of the main appeals for all levels of rider is that it’s standing depth all the way across with a soft, silty bottom and there are reeds close to the shore that make the water seem even flatter. This is a truly awesome spot for flat water freestyle but is also ideal for beginners due to the lack of shore break or currents. Most lessons happen closer to the kite centres at the main beach, so if you’re an independent kiter then be considerate and leave them a little space. There’s plenty to go around!
The water temperature varies in summer from around 20°C / 68°F to 26°C / 79°F from May to September with air temperatures from 20°C / 68°F to 28°C / 82 °F. May through to October are the most reliable months, but Lo Stagnone gets roughly 300 days of wind a year and it’s gloriously sunny in summer. You’ll need a spring suit in late / early season and winter but you can wear boardies or a bikini most of the time from May to October.
Located on the western tip of Sicily, we kitesurf the shallow waters of the bay of Lo Stagnone an ideal spot for beginners, experienced riders and pro riders, after a good day of riding, enjoy a spectacular sunset.
Our base is centrally located in Lo Stagnone spot, but also this part of the shore faces the water of optimal depth and is best situated in relation to the most often wind directions.
If you run into a windless period then you can go for a chilled SUP or kayak around the lagoon, go hiking or mountain biking in the Sicilian mountains on world class trails. Also don’t miss a visit to Favignana Island. There are also surf spots within a reasonable distance that pick up mediterranean swell in the colder months. This being Sicily, you can visit the town where The Godfather movies were filmed or take a trip to Mozia Island. Lo Stagnone is also surrounded by the remnants of the salinas, which are incredible to see.
Kitesurfing school, Lo Stagnone, Sicily, open from May 1st to October 31st We provide kitesurfing courses at all levels - for total beginners and more advanced riders in a perfect kite spot - in flat, shallow and warm waters of Lo Stagnone. We also provide the newest Duotone equipment rentals. We help with all organizational aspects such as accommodation, transfers and other needs concerning your vacation.
• We strive for a common goal - to make you a totally independent kitesurfer.
• Our kitesurfing lessons are tailored to your skill level.
If you are new to kitesurfing, we take it step by step.
If you are not a beginner, you discuss your goals directly with your instructor, you both decide from which moment of the training you continue and, if necessary, you fill in the gaps or correct bad habits.
• A single lesson normally lasts 2 hours.
• Once you have booked lessons with our school, you are automatically included in the timetable for each subsequent day of your stay (we organize the timetable day by day, depending on the latest wind forecast). By default, the student benefits from a slot of 2 hours per day.
• It is possible to do a longer course, but please request it the day before (we try to be as flexible as possible, but we need a little notice for requests, so that we can prepare the timetable Consequently).
• If you wish to take two lessons per day (with a break in between), and if this is possible given the forecast and the school's occupation, please let us know the day before.
• If for any reason you stop the lesson early or if it is interrupted due to changing wind conditions, we only charge the actual lesson time, rounded up to every half hour.
• If you would like to take a break from the route, despite good wind forecasts, we would also be grateful if you could let us know the day before.
• We do not organize group kitesurfing lessons, as we believe it is a waste of time and money. We train individually or in pairs.
• During couple lessons, we use a kite (students change every 15 minutes or so) as long as both students are not independent enough to hold a kite each (after all, there is an instructor. Safety is the concern here).
• We appreciate consistency in teaching, as the teacher gets to know you during class. That's why we try to keep the instructor unchanged while we schedule lessons, unless the student requests otherwise.
• We issue IKO certificates, on request (the cost of the IKO certificate is 10 euros).
• All necessary accessories are provided and included in the price. Kite, board, bar – of course, but also harnesses, wetsuits, helmets and others.